b. Oxford, UK, 1987
Currently based in Bristol, UK
"I make small oil paintings on handmade gesso panels and my imagery combines sparse, dreamlike spaces with small, very detailed figures.
The process before I begin painting, of constructing my panels and coating them with a traditional gesso primer of rabbit skin glue and whiting, is laborious and hugely pleasing in itself. I feel there is value in this and like the idea that my works are seen as beautifully finished objects rather than sole emphasis being placed on the content of the two-dimensional painted surface.
My motives and inspiration as an artist are ephemeral, though largely my work draws on personal experience and feelings that resonate for me with intangible poignancy: vague, sun-drenched childhood memory, travel, relationships.
As source material I'm drawn to imagery with an aged, vintage feel: 70s and 80s family photographs, newspaper cuttings, postcards. I'm drawn to the obscure and mysterious; to that air of magic when a moment in time is frozen in an image, leaving us wanting to know more...
Curious figures in dappled vignettes; Mysterious kinship between potentially incongruous subject matter."
- BA(Hons) Fine Art, Falmouth College of Art, UK, 2008
Awards and Experience
RUD AIR Artist in Residence, Dalsland, Sweden, October 2016
Artist in residence program: four weeks' retreat and open practice in an 1800's missionary house in rural south-west Sweden.
- Cyprus College of Art, Lempa, Paphos, July-August 2013
Four weeks' open studio practice and co-curation of group exhibition.
- Midas Award, 2008
Short listed artist and subsequent winner of the 2008 prestigious Midas Award. Short list exhibition at Newlyn Gallery, Cornwall, UK; year's studio occupancy at Krowji Studios, Cornwall, UK; culminating exhibition at Anima-Mundi (formerly Millennium Gallery), St. Ives, UK.
- SOMEWHERE NOWHERE, Hamilton House Gallery, Bristol, UK, May 2015
- Big Sky, Badcocks Gallery, Newlyn, Cornwall, UK, June - July 2010
- Midas Award 2009, Anima-Mundi (formerly Millennium Gallery), St. Ives, Cornwall UK, November 2009
Selected Group Exhibitions
- Art Of Independence, Paintworks, Bristol, UK, July 2015
- This Wild West, Artopia, St. Katharine Docks, London, UK, February - March 2014
- Stockholm Affordable Arts Fair, October 2013
- Battersea Affordable Arts Fair, Battersea Park, London, UK, Spring 2013
- Bath Contemporary Summer Exhibition, Bath Contemporary, Bath, UK, July - September 2012
- Five By Five, The Picture Room, Newlyn Gallery, Cornwall, UK, Oct - Nov 2011
- Neal's Yard Galleries at Chelsea, Sydney St, London, December 2010 - January 2011
- A Strange Country, PZ Gallery, Penzance, Cornwall, March - April 2010
- One Year On, Badcocks Gallery, Newlyn, Cornwall, UK, May - June 2009
- Midas Award, Newlyn Gallery, Cornwall, UK, October - November 2008